First of all, we would like to thank the past executive who have made the club what it is today. Without their hard work and dedication, we simply would not have the quality and quantity of trails we have in Atikokan. Thank you to Peter and Cathy Burton, Earle Arnold, Leslie and Peter Kerr. If you happen to see any of these fine citizens, please thank them!
The Air Cadets are hosting the Northwestern Ontario Biathlon again this year in Atikokan. The Beaten Path has been hired to set the course and lend out grooming equipment for the event. This will take place at the golf course on Saturday, January 9th, but cadets will be present on Friday, January 8th. Please refrain from using the trails on the golf course on Friday and Saturday. There’s still Jim Lake Road and its tributaries to explore!
The Night Ski is up and running again. The first night will be tomorrow, Thursday, January 7th at 7:00 pm, at the Jim Lake Parking lot. Please bring a flashlight and hydration. Contact Lise Sorensen with any questions you may have at 597-0287. All levels are welcome.
The Sawmill Classic will be either cancelled or postponed. A definite date or conclusion will be posted on the website. Please stay tuned.
Due to low snow conditions, some of our trails are a wee bit exposed. Jim Lake Road, the south side of Nordic, Timber Wolf and Rabid Fox are excellent for classic and skate skiing as is the golf course. Updates as the trail system opens up will be posted under “Trails” on the homepage of www.skibeatenpath.ca.
The Annual Candlelight Ski and Chocolate Cup are scheduled for Friday, February 5th and Saturday, February 6th respectively. If you wish to donate an item(s) for the raffle (to be held after the Candlelight Ski… excellent prizes) or to make ice candles, please contact Anna Fotheringham at 597-8776.
The Trans Canada Trail Loppet will be held on Saturday, February 27th. Please see the webpage for updates.
Thank you to all of you for your patience with us as we learn the ropes. Thank you also to all of the volunteers who have been pruning, brushing and grooming. Take care and we shall see you out there
The Beaten Path’s weekly night ski starts tomorrow, Thursday, January 7th. Fear not if you miss the premiere tour…for the fun will continue every Thursday evening at 7:00 pm provided that there is snow and the temperatures remain above -20C…. Remember to bring a headlamp and hydration.
Please contact Lise Sorensen @ 597-2480 for further information. All levels of skiers are welcome and the more the merrier! Instruction will be provided to those who wish 🙂
Please help if you can in cleaning up the trails before the next snowfall. The Jackrabbit link was pruned today, but needs brushing.
Beaten Path Nordic Trails is hosting another Candlelight Ski/Snowshoe at LFRC, scheduled for the evening of Friday, February 5th, 2016 (the night before our annual Chocolate Cup).
Last year’s event was a huge success, drawing in more than 100 people of all ages from the community, both BPNT members and nonmembers.
Everyone enjoyed spending a fun-filled evening together; a ski or snowshoe around the candlelit golf course, followed by snacks, draws and socializing upstairs at Mo’s.
At this time, we are seeking items for this year’s auction and draw tables.
If anyone is interested in helping us out by making a donation, that would be greatly appreciated. Given the number of talented members in our club and in our community, we have even received some handcrafted things to offer! Any item, big or small, will help to make our tables more exciting! We value your contributions and will acknowledge those who donated at our event.
Donations may be dropped off at either Trish Anthony’s (597-5581) or Anna Fotheringham’s (597-8776) by February 1st. Please call to arrange drop-off or pick-up.
We are hoping that everyone can make it out for this fun-filled evening. Please spread the word! We welcome members and non-members, skiers and snowshoers! For more information, feel free to call Trish or Anna at the numbers above
Yaaaaaay! We have snow and we’re ready for it. Many things have transpired in the recent past for our wonderful club:
- A new building for grooming equipment is now located just West of the Nordic Lake trail head parking lot. For those of you who did not want to transport a machine, but wanted to help groom, now’s your chance (wink, wink…). A massive, “Thank you”, goes out to Peter Burton and Scott Coutts for resurrecting the building which was donated and moved by the Town of Atikokan. If you are interested in grooming, the first meeting is on Tuesday, December 22nd at the Anthony’s garage at 571 O’Brien St. at 7:00 pm.
- The winner of the early bird draw for skis, kindly donated by Fresh Air Experience in Thunder Bay was Lorraine Miller. Congratulations:).
- Our parking lots will once again be cleared by Souris River Canoes. Thank you, Robinson’s.
- Trail passes and annual membership stickers, donated by Dutka Signs are available at Voyageur Bait and Atikokan Pharmacy
- The new executive has been elected and are as follows: President, Jordan Boileau, Secretary, Laurie Mosley, Trails, Darryl Gannon, Treasurer, Lois Fenton, Youth, Lana Puumala, Communication, Susan Bourne
- Golf course is open to the public and trails will be opening up by the weekend if not before. Keep your eyes open for updates in your email on the website: http://www.
skibeatenpath.ca. As always, please allow the trails to firm up prior to exploring (3 hours to overnight).
The 2015 Annual General Meeting will be held Tuesday November 10th at 7 pm in the Atikokan Economic Development Corporation (AEDC) Training Room. Come out to hear about what took place last season and what’s planned for the upcoming season. There will be attendance prizes!!
Memberships are now on sale – there is an early bird draw for a pair of skis donated by Fresh Air for anyone purchasing a membership before December 1st. Memberships will be on sale at the AGM, and also at the Pharmacy and Voyageur Bait & Tackle. The form is on the membership tab of this website.
This year there are four positions on the Executive that will be vacant as of the AGM: President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Communications. The reasons for the vacancies are circumstantial; extended winter travel, partial relocation, and 14 years of service (a well-deserved break for Earle is due).
The club is in financially secure position and the trail system is in great shape so this is an opportune time to get involved as an Executive member. The time commitment is a meeting monthly, email communication as required, and assisting with events if possible.
The Cross Quetico Lakes Tour is set for Saturday March 19th. An updated information package will be created with maps and a few corrections. Keep coming back for updates!
Pre-Registration for this event is required so that we can plan adequately for the bus and for the meal afterward. Please complete the registration form below and email to Chris Stromberg (instructions and his email address are on the form), firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are also asking that registration fees be paid in advance. Information about payment is on the registration form.
News and Trail Conditions
- January 2016 Newsletter
- First 2016 Night Ski: Thursday, January 7th, 7:00 pm, Jim Lake Road
- Trail Update: December 28, 2015
- Candlelight Ski, Friday, February 5th, 2016: Call For Donations
- Jackrabbit Registration: Sunday, January 3rd, 1-3 pm
- Ski Update December 17, 2015
- October 5th Newsletter
- Annual General Meeting Nov. 10th